Child birth, IgG positive, IgM non reactive and anti HBC reactive. Will IgG positive have harmful effect on my child ?

i have igg positive in after delivery igm is non reactiveand anti hbc is reactive. i have two months old baby. i have doubt for igg is affected to my child?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 28 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Was Hepatitis B diagnosed before or after delivery?
2.) What exactly are your Symptoms?

IgG is a antibody which develops in response to a Infection and they are very important in fighting bacterial and viral infections. IgG antibodies are the only type of antibody that can cross the placenta in a pregnant woman to help protect her baby.

The anti Hb C antibody is a antibody developed against the hepatitis B core antigen and it suggests, you may have a chronic infection that you may transmit to others. A positive result may also mean you are recovering from an acute infection or have a slight immunity to HBV that cannot be otherwise detected. Speak to your Doctor about this as he/she will be able to explain it to you better after a thorough physical examination.

Your Doctor may further few tests to know the severity of the infection, like:

1.) HBV DNA.
2.) Liver Function Tests.
3.) Liver Biopsy.

There are chances that if you have the infection, you might spread it to your baby during the process of delivery or through the breastmilk. Speak to your Doctor and a Pediatrician and get your child examined at the earliest to clear the doubt.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.