Child always tired, sleeping excessively, grumpy and clingy after waking up

Question
My 14 month old seems really tired all the time. He is sleeping 11 and a half hours at night but now is sleeping from 9 until 11, and then an afternoon nap of an hour at about 2. Previously he would have one 2 hour sleep about 11 or 2 45 minute sleeps at 10.30 and 2.30. When he wakes he doesn't appear refreshed, but is quite grumpy and clingy, whereas he used to always be happy after a nap
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
I noted from your history that he has respiratory infections and if he was under cough syrup or antihistamines ( adverse effects excessively sleepiness ) then these drugs can be cause, if no then you have to search what caused his condition, check food and ingredients, drinks , medication if any he receiving, body temperature, skin aspect, stool , visual acuity. However I would advice you Pediatric specialist consultation and properly physical assessment and if needs laboratory analysis to rule out any pathology.
I wish you and your sun good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Child always tired, sleeping excessively, grumpy and clingy after waking up 12 hours later
He's not currently on any medication, doesn't have a temperature and his stools are fairly normal, he just seems really tired all the time, but only in the last week

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 4 hours later
Welcome back,
Then he need properly physical exam including detailed neurological assessment and lab work such a complete blood work, biochemistry, thyroid function, stool exam . Tiredness, especially when appeared suddenly may be hidden sings, indicator of systemic diseases such anemia, hypothyroidism, infections, diabetes or deficiency in minerals , vitamins, iron. Check properly his diet, encourage daily activities, assure his bed is comfortable for sleep, assure daily walking with adequate fresh air and sun. Discuss all these aspects with Pediatrician and I am sure you will clarify finally.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail