Child allergic to dust and milk. Noticed swelling on lips and penis shaft. Given allegra. Any advice?

ENT Specialist
My son is 8yrs old wt.30 kg and is allergic to dust,cotton and moderate allergic to milk,soya XXXXXXX etc.his total ige is 97.78 and c1 esterase is 247.from past 2 months he is getting swelling either on lips,ears,eye,penis shaft or itching.pediatrician has prescribed allegra 60mg we have to stop milk intake totally.should we consult an allergist?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through the details provided. Since he is allergic to various items, it is important to conduct allergy testing by skin tests. That can identify the substances to which your son is allergic.

The features you have mentioned indicates that your child is having chronic allergy. Important step in treatment of allergy is to avoid the allergen (Substance causing allergy). After identification of the allergen by skin test, an effort should be made to avoid contact with the allergen.

In case of milk allergy, first make sure if the allergy is to milk. If it is so, then he may have to completely stop taking milk. So it will be better for you consult an allergist for allergy testing and plan for desensitization by suitable vaccines.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.