Child advised Clamp for recurrent fever and running nose. Is it safe?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
He is now 3 yr 4mths old.Till date he has suffered from fever,running nose so many times> Each time his doctor gave him antibiotic CLAMP .Is it good for his health to take clamp so many times ? Also his weight is 9.5 kg but he is hyperactive.Please suggets me nutritions for him as me & my wife are are worried for him.We have also tested his vitamin d ( 24.9 )
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics are not needed always Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Recurrent cold and cough episodes are common in kids below 5 years. Most of these episodes are viral or allergic with bacterial infections accounting for less than one fourth . Antibiotics are generally given if cold and cough symptoms do not settle in a few days. If your doctor prescribed clamp each and everytime , it's over treatment. But it's difficult to say so unless you examine a kid. You need to get your kid vaccinated every year with flu shot and take pneumococcus vaccine if not taken already. Drugs like monteleukast at 4mg daily in the evening once a day for few months can control allergies. You need to give her vit d 800 units drops as the level should be above 40. Regarding nutrition you need to give him plenty of fruits and vegetables and home made foods which you eat. Avoid junk foods. You can test his hemoglobin and if low give him iron and iron rich foods like dates and jaggery which would help in building immunity. Wishing your kid good health Regards Arun