Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Child accidentally inhaled soda lye solution. Got severe burn in mouth. What cure should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
Question
Dear Sir,
My younger child is one and half year old and he accidentally inhale soda lye solution on 1st XXXXXXX Due to which severe burn has took place in his mouth till the food pipe. After doing gastro graphy it is found that no perforation is there. After 15 days of constant treatment his ulcers are recovered 80%. He can only inhale liquid foods. since tast 2 days he is facing problem of swallowing any type of food. More ever when he eat some food, he vomits with in a minute. Kindly suggest what to do for his cure.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
 
 
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Hi,
I went tho the reports sent by you and discharge summary.

Glad that baby showed some improvement with ref to mouth ulcers.

However vomiting all the food is a cause of concern!
You have to urgently consult a pediatric gastro enterologist to look for corrosive esophagitis /stricture/corrosive gastritis.

This seems to be advised by the hospital doctor on discharge.

If he is not retaining anything, he may need admission again to give intravenous fluids and nutrition till he tolerates orally.

Already they mentioned that the gastrography showed mild narrowing in the junction between esophagus and stomach.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Follow-up: Child accidentally inhaled soda lye solution. Got severe burn in mouth. What cure should be done? 42 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Greetings for the day,
I had consult Dr.Sarath Gopalan M.D Pediatric gastro enterolgist of Inderprastha Appllo. After checking the patient he advised for endoscopic and food pipe dilation. My question is there any way to prevent dilation and cure the patient through some other medicines either it will be in homeopathy or in Naturapathy treatment,??
Thanks and Regards
XXXXXXX
 
 
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 12 minutes later
Hi,
Thanks for your update.
My personal opinion is please follow the doctor's advice - otherwise you will land up in life .long struggle for the child!
This is an acute problem and homeo and other treatments may not help and later it may become more difficult to heal.

Even after this, depending on how is the condition he may need careful follow up for quite sometime.

Of course IAm an allopathic doctor and I am e/pressing what I feel for the benefit of your child.
By the way has he started to tolerate some feeds now?

Good luck

Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Follow-up: Child accidentally inhaled soda lye solution. Got severe burn in mouth. What cure should be done? 17 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for your fair advice.
However my child take all less viscous liquid foods, How ever whenever a small piece of solid has entered in the mouth, he quickly vomits the same after swallowing it.
Again Thanks a lot.
Regards
XXXXXXX
 
 
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Yes XXXXXXX,
I am glad that liquids are going in.
Pl go ahead with the treatment.
My best wishes for your child and prayers for his speedy recovery!

Good luck
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Treatment/Therapy

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor