Child accidentally inhaled soda lye solution. Got severe burn in mouth. What cure should be done?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
Dear Sir,
My younger child is one and half year old and he accidentally inhale soda lye solution on 1st XXXXXXX Due to which severe burn has took place in his mouth till the food pipe. After doing gastro graphy it is found that no perforation is there. After 15 days of constant treatment his ulcers are recovered 80%. He can only inhale liquid foods. since tast 2 days he is facing problem of swallowing any type of food. More ever when he eat some food, he vomits with in a minute. Kindly suggest what to do for his cure.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
I went tho the reports sent by you and discharge summary.

Glad that baby showed some improvement with ref to mouth ulcers.

However vomiting all the food is a cause of concern!
You have to urgently consult a pediatric gastro enterologist to look for corrosive esophagitis /stricture/corrosive gastritis.

This seems to be advised by the hospital doctor on discharge.

If he is not retaining anything, he may need admission again to give intravenous fluids and nutrition till he tolerates orally.

Already they mentioned that the gastrography showed mild narrowing in the junction between esophagus and stomach.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child accidentally inhaled soda lye solution. Got severe burn in mouth. What cure should be done? 42 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Greetings for the day,
I had consult Dr.Sarath Gopalan M.D Pediatric gastro enterolgist of Inderprastha Appllo. After checking the patient he advised for endoscopic and food pipe dilation. My question is there any way to prevent dilation and cure the patient through some other medicines either it will be in homeopathy or in Naturapathy treatment,??
Thanks and Regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 12 minutes later
Thanks for your update.
My personal opinion is please follow the doctor's advice - otherwise you will land up in life .long struggle for the child!
This is an acute problem and homeo and other treatments may not help and later it may become more difficult to heal.

Even after this, depending on how is the condition he may need careful follow up for quite sometime.

Of course IAm an allopathic doctor and I am e/pressing what I feel for the benefit of your child.
By the way has he started to tolerate some feeds now?

Good luck

Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child accidentally inhaled soda lye solution. Got severe burn in mouth. What cure should be done? 17 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for your fair advice.
However my child take all less viscous liquid foods, How ever whenever a small piece of solid has entered in the mouth, he quickly vomits the same after swallowing it.
Again Thanks a lot.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Yes XXXXXXX,
I am glad that liquids are going in.
Pl go ahead with the treatment.
My best wishes for your child and prayers for his speedy recovery!

Good luck
Dr Uma