Chest xray showed aortic unfolding and increased hilar vascularity. Is the aortic unfolding of clinical significance?

My husband had a chest xray today as a result of an ER visit for angioedema and what he felt was heartburn. All tests were ok except chest xray (prev done 12/2011 - normal) showed aortic unfolding and increased hilar vascularity on the left. The ER docs didn't mention this. He is fairly active and does not have any shortness of breath, despite doing 4 flights of stairs each day at a "workout" pace. My husband is 6'2", 170 lbs, normal to low blood pressure and very healthy except an over-active immune system. Is the aortic unfolding of clinical significance?
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 50 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
Aortic unfolding as seen on chest x-ray has three significant causes:
a). Bicuspid Aortic Valve, eccentric jet hitting the aorta, therefoed yre root is dilated it
aorta is unfolded specially so when it is associated ith aortic regurgitation.
b). Hypertension patients usually have unfolded aorta.

c). Marfan Syndrome. weakening of connective tissue or middle layer of aorta, aortic
root dilatation leading to leakage of valve causing aortic regurgitation also
unfolded aorta.

All, three conditions are not so obert but can be diagnosed by a good general and phsical examination. If x-ray has reportedly said unfolded aorta even once, logically a physical examination would have followed. Which apparently, has not been done meticulously. But no harm done. You can seek an appointment with the doctor and discuss the x-ray. He would definitely want see and examie the patient.

If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer asap. Regards

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW