Chest x-ray shows hilar enlargment. What does it mean?

Question
I have a done a Chest X XXXXXXX PA view, It shows left hilar enlargement noted ? nodes. What does it means?

Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Left hilar region is one where the bronchus, the air conducting pipes enter into the actual lungs. The hila on both sides is surrounded by lymph nodes which are scavengers of infection and in any infection they get enlarged in reaction to infection or inflammatory conditions due to multiplication of immune system ( body's self defence ) cells in it.

Some conditions like :

Pneumonia
Tuberculosis
Sarcoidosis
Infectious mononucleosis
rarely cancers too show hilar lymph node enlargement.

I would suggest you to get examined clinically by a pulmonologist along with presenting your history to him so he could draw a conclusion on the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Chest x-ray shows hilar enlargment. What does it mean? 7 hours later
Is it a symptom of Lung Cancer. Is it completly curable? How dangeorus it is?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for your follow up.

No, its not purely a sign of lung cancer.As I said earlier it could be seen in many number of conditions, infections being the commonest ones.

Cure of it depends on the underlying cause.

Also the danger involved can be assesd only when the cause is made out.

Do visit a Pulmonologist for detailed examination , who can come out with the cause.

Wish you good health.