Chest x-ray shows emphysematous changes in lung fields, blunted costophrenic angle. How am I?

My X-Ray report of chest (PA) shows the following findings:
1. Emphysematous changes are seen in both lung fields.
2. Right costo phrenic angle is blunted.
3. Left costo phrenic angle is clear.
4. No active lung parenchymal lesion is seen.
5. Heart is normal in size.
Please tell me how I am? I have normal appetite, energy and working in a corporate sector.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later

COPD (chronic obstructive lung disease) refers to emphysema or chronic bronchitis.Some persons may have symptoms related to both conditions.
Emphysematous changes means that the changes seen are diagnostic of emphysema.
COPD usually occurs as a result of smoking. Chronic bronchitis is diagnosed if the person has a history of a reproductive cough for 3 months out of 2 consecutive years.Emphysema is associated with destruction of the muscles in the smaller airways of the lungs with enlargement of the airways resulting in impaired lung function because the ability of the lungs to expel air is reduced.

It is may be associated with cough, breathlessness, wheezing.
Treatment involves : stopping smoking if this is an issue
the use of inhalors to reopen the airways
the use of antibiotics if infections occur
the use of medications to help break up the mucus if this is a problem
some doctors have found that the use of proton pump inhibitors which are medications used for acid reflux may actually decrease the number of infections persons with emphysema experience

So you doctor may advise the above for you.

The costo phrenic angle is the angle where the diaphragm meets the ribs. Blunting implies that it is not seen clearly and this can occur if there is fluid or if the lungs are expanded- as in emphysema ( this is likely the reason for the blunting)

No lesion implies that no masses or tumors were seen, which is good.
Heart appears normal- good

So basically the xray shows that you likely have emphysema which can be managed with treatment from your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions