Chest x-ray shows biapical pleural thickening, CT shows hepatomegaly and dialted bile ducts. Should I be concerned?

Should I be concerned with the following findings: labvalues: MCV:74.1, MCH: 23.4, RDW: 17.2 , platelets 440+ ; CT of abdomen with hepatomegaly and dilated bile ducts; Chest xray with biapical pleural thickening?

Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

Your Red cell indices is showing a microcytic picture most likely due to iron deficiency. You will need to take iron supplements for the same but before that you will have to confirm it with a peripheral smear.

Hepatomegaly with dilated bile ducts is not normal, we will have to find the cause for the hepatomegaly, please get a liver function test immediately to rule out hepatitis.

From the history and drugs you are taking there is no cause for the bilateral pleural thickening so a biopsy of the pleura is a must in your case. Please approach a pulmonologist soon.

I see that you have multiple medical problems and there are new issues as well. The ideal thing to do is to approach a multispecialty hospital with Endocrine, Gastro enterology, Pulmonology and XXXXXXX medicine in it.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to answer them

I wish you good health