Chest x-ray showed minimal bilateral apical pleural thickening. What does this mean?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi, my husband's recent chest x-ray shows 'minimal bilateral apical pleural thickening'. clinical correlation required. What does that mean? In fact, the chest x-ray was referred by an ENT specialist when my husband consulted him for a problem in the ear.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The finding of minimal bilateral apical pleural thickness suggests an inflammatory process involving the pleura of the lungs.

Pleura is the covering of the lungs. It can be inflamed in number of infective conditions like bacterial infections, fungal infections, viral infections, autoimmune diseases, etc.
The inflammatory process causes thickening of the pleura.

As you have mentioned that your husband suffered from problem in the ear.
This could be probably due to an infective pathology in the both ear and lung.
A clinical correlation is required. Consult your treating doctor for further management.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal