Chest x-ray showed broncho-vascular markings of lungs. Any advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
My daughter age 10 years chest X-ray report come "PROMINENT BRONCHO-VASULAR MARKINGS IN BOTH LUNG FIELDS-FOR CLINICAL CORRELATION LEFT HILAR ADENOPATHY". Please advise if this is XXXXXXX
Thanking you
XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for asking a question.

Firstly, Broncho-vascular markings of lungs are become prominent if there is lower bronchitis. In children it occurs mostly due to viral or to a lesser extent bacterial infection. Even in recurrent infection this condition may arise.

Secondly, the hilar lymphadenopathy means enlargement of the lymph nodes present in the hilar region of Lung. It indicates an infective condition which is most probably due bacterial agent. So, the presence of hilar lymphadenopathy supports the above discussion. This is seen most commonly in chronic infection
.
I assure you that this condition is mostly reversible and treatable.

You have to do the followings.
1.     Keep her away from dusty / smoky environment.
2.     Give her a balanced and nutritious diet.
3.     Give her fresh fruits regularly.
4.     Give her steam inhalation 2 – 3 times a day.
5.     Give her cetirizine 10 mg once a day before bed time.
6.     If required a multivitamin group of drug can also be considered.
7.     Consult with your treating doctor or pediatrician for a thorough clinical examination, and prescribing a suitable antibiotic like azithromycin / amoxicillin according to her body weight and age. If she has any low grade fever during evening, then ancillary tests should be done to rule out tuberculosis.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.