Chest x-ray after intubation showed vague opacities. Should I be worried for cancer?

I had an chest xray 7 weeks ago, it was clear . Now a new one shows vague opacities in the right base. I was intubated 6 weeks ago. Could this be cancer so fast, the area takes up almost 1/4 that lobe. I had a core throat, but nothing else. 43 y/o nonsmokers. They are having a CT done
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

It is good to know the report of CT to comment on the Xray finding whether it is worrisome or not.

Why was the intubation done in the first place? It cannot be cancer.

After intubation it is normal to take an Xray before and after intubation to see if there is any aspiration pneumonitis. There would be secretions that gets locked inside the lung tubes. These secretions are more on the right side.

About the cancer a very rare condition to think of in a non smoker and with no positive family history.

Hope this answers, hope to see you back with CT findings and report.

All the best.

Follow-up: Chest x-ray after intubation showed vague opacities. Should I be worried for cancer? 2 days later
the CT suspected round atelectasis from my thyroidectomy. Unfortunately, it also showed 2 small nodules, 4 and 7 mm. The pulmonologist is not worried at all. He says he is 99.5% sure they're benign. Except for calcification, they have all the characteristics of being benign. He also did a Sed rates and C reactive protein to decrease the chance there some metastatic cancer causing this. My thyroidectomy came out to be benign

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 32 hours later

I agree with your pulmonologist. You just need to follow up with Xray after a month instead of CT and compare with old Xray.

You can ask your Pulmonologist about tumor marker in the blood.

All the best. If you do not have any follow up query you may close the discussion and rate my answer.