Chest vibrates. Have angina. Do I have a heart problem?

I have a feeling like a vibrator in my left chest.It only happens when Im calm not sleeping but when Im at rest.Whats happening to me.I feel like Im having heart problems.Ive been diagnosed with angina
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 45 minutes later

You reported symptoms of "vibratory sensation in your chest" during rest and you also have been suffering from angina and hypertension.

Based on your history, there could be a few possibilities that I can think:

1. With the history of angina/hypertension in the back ground, the vibratory sensation that you describe could be palpitation - increased/rapid heart rate. They occur due to some disturbances in the heart rhythm which may be normal or abnormal. An ECG recorded when symptomatic will be helpful in diagnosing the condition as well as determining the severity of the condition.

2. Muscles spasms caused by repeated nerve stimulation/firing is a second possibility that could be the source of the vibratory feeling. The recurring nerve firing may occur due to electrolyte imbalance, stress, or after physical exercise. Eating a balanced diet and making sure you drink plenty of water, might help resolve it.

Take a few XXXXXXX breaths, hold, and relax. Tensing muscles stops nerve firing and might control your symptoms. Their origins are obscure, as they are often due to an insult to the phrenic nerve system.

3. People who have anxiety disorders can also have disturbing sensations in their chest. Anxious people tend to breathe in faulty ways, which can often cause chest discomfort, because it not only strains the accessory muscles, but also can irritate the cartilage between the ribs. Either of these things can cause localized chest pain and tenderness which are usually little painful muscle spasms in the chest wall.

If your pulse is normal while the vibration occurs, it's likely not your heart. However I would encourage you to visit your physician/cardiologist for a detailed cardiac examination. You may also need a few relevant investigations at this point like:

2. Echocardiogram
3. Serum Electrolytes

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.