Chest tingling, collapsing, attack lasts for few minutes, tightening throat. Is this arrhythmia?

I am a 25 yo male, 5'6" 140lbs. In the past 2 months I have had 3 occasions of collapsing. I develop a tingling in my chest and arm and can tell that it is going to happen. When it happens (has happened standing and sitting, not only when I stand up) my muscles go limp and I fall. I've been told by someone who watched it happen that I did not close my eyes or seem to go unconscious but that I was unresponsive to their questions for a few moments (I assumed I was unconscious). The attack lasts about 1-2 minutes before I can get up and walk normally. On one of the occasions it happened twice back to back. Afterward I felt shakey with chest pains. Both occasions happened a few hours after I stopped drinking (2-3 beers). Last night when I was with friends I took a shot of rum and immediately after my throat began to tighten and I could not breathe. The harder I tried to breathe the less oxygen I felt I was getting. It began passing in about 2 minutes and although I remained hoarse, I could breathe. When I was a child I was diagnosed with an arrhythmia and I am concerned that this could be causing my symptoms.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query!

Most importantly, I would suggest that you see your treating physician as soon as possible as you might end up in a XXXXXXX situation if one of these episodes happen when you are driving , operating machinery or are in a situation where you might end up injuring yourself.

There are several causes to which your symptoms could be attributed. These include absence seizures, syncope induced due to rhythm disturbances, a rare form of migraine, complex partial seizures, psychogenic non-epileptic seizures amongst others.

As I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor reply. This way, satisfaction levels go up. Hence please answer the following questions:

a. Which arrhythmia were you diagnosed with as a child?
b. Has an EEG ever been done for you? If yes, could you please upload the reports?
Additionally, I hope you would not be offended if I asked you few questions about your thought processes. Do you feel extremely anxious or disturbed these days?

Awaiting your reply