Chest tightening, no pain or shortness of breath. Taking Lisinopril and Prevacid. Ex-smoker

Today the upper part of my chest tightened really quickly, almost like constricting, I had to stretch my sternum to alleviate the tighteness. It lasted about 1-2 seconds and than it was gone. No pain, no shortness of breath..just the constriction. Please note the following; This occured while I was lifting and putting away boxes at work; I had my annual physical yesterday and although my blood hasnt come back yet everything else was perfect (EKG, Lungs, vitals, etc...); I am on 5 mg of lisinopril for about two years now because slightly elevated BP; I am also on 40mg of prevacid because of acid; I am under a lot of stress; The doc yesterday also adjusted my my back and neck after the physical; The tightness did not feel XXXXXXX but rather on the bbone area in the center of my chest but more up towards my throat then my abdomen. Now that area is sore to the touch, but again the tenderness is not felt under the chest wall but rather directly on the bone itself where the tightness occured. I am a 39yo ex-smoker. I forgot to mention that I was off my prevacid for about 6-7 days, I just started to take it agian this morning becuase I was feeling the heartburn comin on yesterday and last night so I drank mylanta last night.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
You are might be having a recurrence of your heart burn disease- Acid peptic disease typically produces such sympoms.
But it sounds more of a musculoskeletal problem because you were handling some boxes having good weight; it may be a pulled chest muscle.
The cardiac pain does not subside that fast and it can not be relieved by stretching. And cardiac pain does not cause local soreness to palpation.
I think you should take a paracetamol(acetaminophen) and chlorzoxazone combination and local Volini spray to relieve the muscle spasm.
You sould also continue to take your acidity medicine for 15 days in sequence.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!