Chest rash, redness and itching around ears, face and neck. Sun blisters on forearms. Alternative for Losartan?

Jul 2012

I am a 55 yo male ,taking losartin 50 mg 1x per day for mild high blood pressure.I am overweight at 230lb 6' tall .i am fairly healthy,active and outdoors quite a lot.Live in South Fl. I am having skin problems ,I beleive are related to my using of Losartin.I am experiencing a persistent hive like rash on my chest and excema redness and itching around ears,face,and neck.My dermatoligist perscibed hydro cortisone cream for my face and Fluocinonide for my chest.I am also experiencing small sun blisters on my forearms.Can you recomend an alternitive to Losartin .My BP runs about 110/70 on this dose with or without the Diuretic
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 33 minutes later
Hi there. At the outset, if your BP is under control, then that is the basic problem settled. The rash you describe seems to be a 'photosensitive' one going by the locations you describe. Also may be a 'seborrheic' component to it judging by the lesions on your chest. Of the two, diuretics are more commonly implicated in photosensitive rash developed as a side effect to medications. Please DO NOT change any medications or alter them without your treating physicians approval & compliance. Continue the medications your dermatologist prescribed but add a sunscreen with built in moisturizer that can be bought from your local chemist sans prescription. Make certain to apply it 20mts before sun exposure & repeat it each 3-4 hrs & re-apply every time you wash off, sweat excessively or bathe. This should be on during the 'light' filled hrs from daybreak to dusk (as it is UV related & not dependent on shade/bright sunlight). Do hope this information is useful & will help you arrive at an informed decision that suits your lifestyle & gives you relief!
Please do visit your physician on the ground with a transcript of this advice & am sure the two of you will arrive at a workable alternative vis-a-vis your anti-hypertensive medication. Do remember to send us a feedback & review. Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr XXXXXXX Rodrigues MD Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India