Chest pressure,shortness of breath,panic attacks,sinus infection,ct scan,GERD

hello i wrote to you before . i have been having pressure in my chest for some time . its like some one is sitting on my chest. and some shortness of breath . with my panick attacks my doctors r telling me i am ok. i am afraid of miocarditis. 2 weeks ago i went to my doc i had some congestion so she found little sinus infection gave me antibiotic listen to me in every position but said she didnt want to do ekg. i also had an echo done in may it was fine, i laso had ct scan with a XXXXXXX done inmay to check my lungs it was fine. i do have gerd dont take nothing for it. so can y help me. why shortnes of breath and pressure in my chest
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

The symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness in the absence of any Heart or Lung problem(as per your ECHO and CT scan) is classically seen in Anxiety Neurosis.

You can start with some lifestyle changes and see if there is any improvement like-
1. Check your caffeine intake- Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2. Avoid Alcohol consumption and Smoking.
3. Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4. Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing(You can try whenever you have shortness of breath. For this you need to sit in Ardha Padmasana. To know how to sit in this position you can follow this link: WWW.WWWW.WW During this you need to count the breaths for 15 mins every time.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.

Please follow these above mentioned measures and observe for improvements. And write back to me every time after you have shortness of breath for the follow ups and for any modifications if required.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Chest pressure,shortness of breath,panic attacks,sinus infection,ct scan,GERD 47 minutes later
whAT about my concerns about miocarditis, and can it be realeted to my stomach issues.i watch alot of medical shows on tv and then if i am short of breath i think i am dying. i do have an appt this friday any q i can ask him to help with my problem
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Regarding other reasons of your symptoms, the probable causes are pneumonitis or pleuritis. Here the chest tightness increases on XXXXXXX breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.

GERD is also likely to produce similar symptoms as described by you and usually subsides after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors group of drugs.

To rule out cardiac related problems, I suggest you to have the following tests done under the guidance of your doctor -
1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

Hope this helps.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: Chest pressure,shortness of breath,panic attacks,sinus infection,ct scan,GERD 2 hours later
in ur first answer u said if i did cardiac tests i dont need anymore. my last echo and ekg was done in may, stress test was done last year. i will be having blood work this friday and will aske them to do ekg. but how often should a person be doing cardiac tests and in my age
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Since you are only 32 years old if you do not have any symptoms then even an yearly checkup is sufficient. But if there are persistent symptoms then further investigations are advised until a proper diagnosis is made.