Chest pressure near clavicle, high blood pressure. Is it an emergency?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i HAVE CHEST PRESSURE IN UPPER REGIONS NEAR CLAVICLE....AND JUST HAD BLOOD PRESSURE TAKEN BY PHARMACIST WAS 153/113 SHOULD i GO TO ER OR COULD IT BE MY MORNING COFFEE HITTING ME
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
Hi

Your blood pressure is quite high. Normal blood pressure is usually less than 140/90 mmHg. It is possible that the coffee may be adding to the high blood pressure. It would be advisable to check your blood pressure after half an hour of the coffee intake to confirm, However if the chest discomfort is severe and you also develop breathlessness, it is advisable to go to the ER immediately to rule out some heart conditions.

Mean while I also recommend you to stop smoking and drinking alcohol. It is best you take support of your Doctor and get into a de-addiction program to help quit smoking and drinking alcohol.

You need to lose weight. Stay away from high carbohydrate junk food, fatty food, fried food. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by atleast 40 minutes brisk walk as this helps to reduce blood pressure and weight as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your follow up queries.