Chest pains, shortness of breath, painful, difficult to talk, CFS, blood clots. Treatment ?

26, female. After I woke up today, I started feeling some chest pains, and shortness of breath. During the day it would get better or worse, sometimes severe. Going up the stairs or standing up makes it worse during which I get out of breath. The chest pain and the breathlessness are identical to the ones you experience after running, but it just doesn't go away. I've never experienced it before, except when I'm running. It is painful and difficult to talk and breathe, just like after a run. It is almost a scratchy kind of feel, and also like my chest is full of air. Sometimes the air feels colder than normally. I do suffer from very severe CFS so I do not move much, so I'm always worried about blood clots. There is always pain in my legs, so that doesn't mean anything
thank you
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 24 hours later

Acute Shortness of breath and chest discomfort is usually due to three main causes.
1. Acute MI
2. Acute Asthma
3. Acute Pulmonary Embolism.

Your symptom are very much suggestive of Pulmonary Embolism.
Its a condition, where in blood clot forms in veins in legs and gets detached and travels to heart and caused blockage of pulmonary circulation.

I assume you do not have any wheezing to suggest and asthma attack.

You must get an ECG and ECHO to evaluate the underlying cause.
Consult your physician as soon as possible for these symptoms.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran