Chest pains and numbness in thigh. MRI report shows two large lesions in pons. What could this be?

Nov 2013

Hi, I am thirty seven years old and for the last couple of years have not been feeling well. I have been getting chest pains, pains in back, numbness in thigh, and numbness on the side of the face/ear/back of head. I came back with a titer of 1:160 ebv vca neurologist, primary) do. The rheumotologist thinks I have MS. I had numerous MRI's and have two large lesions in the pons but somehow do not look like ms lesions although I show all the symptoms? All other tests are coming back negative . What could be happening to me? What can these lesions be. I went to the ms clinic in NYU and they have no idea. They said it is to big to be a tumor and too big to be a stroke? Am I an alien?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Is it possible to send the MRI pictures?

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your dilemma, as no clear cut diagnosis has been made.

I agree with your rheumatologist that even though your ANA is positive, it is unlikely to be SLE) or any other autoimmune disorder, as you do not fulfill the ARA (American Rheumatological Association) criteria for any one of them.

So, it has to be a brain disorder, and the diagnosis rests on the MRI appearances. If you can send the MRI pictures (at least the ones showing the lesions in pons), it would be helpful.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog: