Chest pain with uneasiness, not continuous

Cardiologist, Interventional
I am having light pain in my chest for the last couple of days.I feel bit uneasy during that time.Breathing problem is not there.The pain is not continuous.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 14 hours later

Thank you for the query and also for sending the reports. I have seen them in detail.

Since you have Hypertension and Diabetes, it is essential that you do not ignore or disregard chest discomfort.

You should get a 12-lead ECG at the earliest and get the ECG seen by a cardiologist. If there are changes in the ECG, you may need further investigation and treatment as appropriate. A blood test (Quantitative cardiac Troponin I or Troponin T) can be done to rule out an acute coronary syndrome.

If the ECG is normal, you need to be investigated further for the cause of the chest pain. In view of the risk factors, you need to get a fasting lipid profile done and also a stress test like treadmill test. A stress test is usually not performed when you have ongoing chest pain. It has to be planned for a later, elective date.

Chest pain can also occur due to numerous other causes including acidity, musculo skeletal pains, neuropathy, inflammation of the coverings of the heart or lungs, non-ischemic cardiac causes, and lung diseases. If the pain is non-cardiac, you will need to be referred to the appropriate specialty and investigated accordingly.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me again for any further clarifications. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma