Chest pain with breathing difficulty. Prescribed medicine for bronchitis. Could it be angina?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 9 year old boy has been complaining that his chest hurts and that his having a hard time breathing. This his the 2nd time this month that he complained about it. It happened before when she was with her mother.
He went to the doctor the first time it happened this month and he said it was nothing that it was bronchitis and prescribe him some medicine.
I thought he's having asthma because I had it when I was a kid. I also read on my medical book that it could be Angina. I don't know, please help.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to HCM!

Your child has chest pain.
Please indicate which side of the chest he has pain and
whether it is related to breathing or cough.

The cause of chest pain are
1 Feeling of tightness in bronchitis rather than pain
2 pleuritis- when associated with XXXXXXX breathing
3 centre of the chest - mid line - oesophagitis or gastritis or gerd
4- something called costochondrtis- just inflammation of rib cartilage which is very common in adults.
5 very very very rarely from heart.

As his pain is transient ,it may be related to some acid reflux (gerd)

Good luck

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Chest pain with breathing difficulty. Prescribed medicine for bronchitis. Could it be angina? 14 minutes later
His chest pain is in the center, mid-line. He have difficulty breathing when he lies down in bed but a constant mild sharp pain when he is up.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 17 minutes later
As I said earlier ,the pain in the centre of the chest may be due to
GERD when there is acid reflux into the food pipe (oesophagus) from stomach.
This pain is usually more when one lies down and less when erect.
Antacids will help.

The difficulty in breathing may be the discomfort from this reflux or the unresolved bronchitis which his doctor diagnosed in him.
Better to get him evaluated by a pediatrician rather than a busy ER!

God bless
Good luck
Dr Uma