Chest pain while in stress,depression,breathing problem

Hellow doctor,

M 24 yrs old girl. I feel sharp pinch/ pain in chest sometimes left & sometimes right. it used to happen once in 3 months. now it has become very frequent. anytime in day or in week, it happens. i had a checkup with cardiologist, she told me that it may be a case of anxiety. Have Depression . my bp too gets low at every third day. & this pain happens too when m in stress or i cry.. m feeling uneasiness in breathing too from last 3-4 days. not able to sleep.. kindly help..

Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 41 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long are you experiencing this?
2.) Are you a student or employed?
3.) Did you face any painful situation in you professional or personal life?
4.) Do you have any kind of stress?
5.) Do you smoke or drink?
6.) What time of the day was it when you tested your Blood Pressure?

Your History suggests nothing serious except Hypotension and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Not to worry as they can be easily treated with proper medical care and medications.

Since you have been evaluated by a Cardiologist and she feels nothing serious, speak to her and get a 2D ECHO to rule out any heart pathology since you have episodes of Low Blood Pressure, only if your Doctor feels it necessary after evaluating you once again, otherwise it is absolutely fine as Blood Pressure is normally low during nights and also when you change positions.

Coming to your Complaint of sharp pinches in your chest area, it doesn't point to anything serious as it is a vague symptom and happens along with difficulty breathing when you are stressed out. Speak to your Urine Routine

to see if all your Parameters are fine including Thyroid levels. You also have insomnia. Once the cause is confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause.

Bring in lifestyle modifications along with medications to have the maximum effect on your physical and mental health. If this doesn't help, you will require Counseling for the same.

1.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
2.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
3.) Avoid junk and high calorie foods.
4.) Exercise regularly for an hour and maintain a healthy weight.
5.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism.
6.) Start mingling with your friends and family and go out for lunches and dinners often.
7.) Use your bedroom only for sleeping, don't take food, Pets, Television, books to your room.
8.) Eat and sleep on time, and for a minimum of 8 hours daily, you should have atleast a 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep during nights.
9.) If possible use a eye mask while sleeping.
10.) Indulge yourself in activities which interest you more like, gardening, cooking, yoga, exercise, reading, meditation, travelling, listening to music etc.
11.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
12.) Drink plenty of water.
13.) Have six small meals instead of three large meals and include more salt in your diet, that should be around 3000mg per day

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Do Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.