Chest pain while breathing and coughing, difficulty in breathing

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have a chest pain from last week onwards with the following symptoms
Pain when taking XXXXXXX breaths
Pain when coughing
Difficulty breathing
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Well, I would like to tell you pain in chest is really a very discomforting condition and may require a thorough evaluation to narrow down the true cause.

Any organ or tissue in the chest can be the source of pain including heart, lungs, esophagus, chest muscles, ribs or tendons. Pain originating in the chest may later also spread to the neck, abdomen, and back.

There can be different reasons of the chest pain, such as-

- Diseases of heart (mainly in elder group)
- Problems related to lungs; like inflammation of the pleura, collapse of lung, pneumonia etc.
- Inflammation of the ribs
- Inflammation of the chest muscles and tendons
- Panic attacks
- Gastroesophageal reflux (heart burn)
- Injury to the chest wall
- Muscular pain by excessive strain in the form of vigorous exercise

If injury, strain or coughing has caused the chest pain, your chest wall can be painful to touch. It can also be painful with every movement of breathe or cough. Your symptoms are most likely due to this. A careful examination of the chest by your physician can confirm this possibility. He/she then can suggest you proper medication for cough relief.

Meanwhile as you plan to visit your physician, you must take rest and avoid any kind of exercise. You can also take some good pain killer with potent anti inflammatory action like ibuprofen for relief of pain.

Don’t worry, you will be alright.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any other queries, I am here for future follow ups.