Chest pain, weight loss, on water fasting. Is the pain due to dehydration?

Hi, I have been water fasting for the last 7 days and today I woke up with chest pains, mainly on my left side. I am 30 years old, prior to the fast I weighed 70 kilos, I now weigh 63, I am 5 foot 10. Should I be concerned about these pains? Could it be caused by dehydration, as I didnt seem to drink as much water yesterday as I usually have been. Prior to fast generally fit and healthy never smoked. Thanks
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
You are doing a water fasting for last 7 days. It depends on your body composition that for how long can you sustain this. Initially for some days the body uses body fat for energy and later on proteins break down. The changes caused by such fasting include electrolyte imbalances, thinning hair, lanugo, cardiac arrhythmia and renal failure.
Insufficient fluid intake might cause electrolyte disturbances and renal failure.The left sided chest pains may be related to cardiac arrhythmias due to electrolyte disturbances.
You need to consult your cardiologist for ECG and further investigations that are required to detect the problem.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.