Chest pain, sweating, losing vision and hearing, tingling lips. What could have caused this? Have scoliosis and back problems

I am a 29 year old woman this morning at work I got a pain in the right side of my chest that was really uncomfortable that lasted for a while, I began feeling ill and sweating, I continued to work at my desk and the pain had moved to the bottom of my rib cage on the right side. I got up and went to the copy machine and as I was making copies I began to lose my vision, all I could see was what looked like "snow" on a television and I also lost my hearing in both ears everything sounded as if I was underwater and they kind of felt pressurized and my lips were tingling. I went back to my desk and turned on my fan and drank some water and after a while I was back to normal. What could have caused this?

It is rather warm in the office I work in, I am under alot of stress, I think I may be developing carpal tunnel, I've had alot of pain and numbness in my arms/wrists in the recent weeks, I have scholiosis and back problems. I am a single mother of a 2 year old. I was in a car accident last October where someone rear ended me at 70mph and was diagnosed with whiplash, my neck hasn't been the same since. I've also got a half broken wisdom tooth that has been that way for a couple years now, it doesn't feel painful I use mouthwash alot to keep it clean I have intended to get it removed but it seems like something always happens that prevents me from getting it done time/money. I don't have dental insurance and I plan on getting it taken out at tax time in the recent weeks it has been starting to bother me, feel painful/more rotten.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     29 year old female
•     Multiple stressors in life
•     Stressful lifestyle

From your symptoms description it appear that you had panic attack in office which is type of severe anxiety attack.

Common symptoms which can occur with anxiety in panic disorder patient: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own wellbeing and health (multiple health related issues), tremor, muscle spasm leading to pain in multiple parts of body (like back pain), heaviness in body, easy fatigability, dizziness, palpitation, sinking feeling (in water), sleep difficulty and dry mouth. Many of your complaints are matching with this.

You may need help of psychiatrist for further in person evaluation and to treat your symptoms. In general for drug treatment of panic disorder two types of medicine used. For immediate relief from panic attack benzodiazepines group of medicines (like klonopin) are used and for long term relief (for prevention of future attacks) most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you to some extent:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.