Chest pain, shortness of breath, some showing on CT scan. Could it be aspirated food?

I am heaving chest pain and shortness of breath and have something showing on 2 chest X-rays and a CT Scan. Showing in my left lung. Could it be aspirated food? Have been treated for pneumonia and it didn't help I had a coughing spell a few weeks prior to this beginning and I'm just wondering if its a possibility and what do I do next?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient

Thanks for your health concerns. If there is a possibility of an aspirated foreign body, raised by suspicion on ct scan, then consultation with a pulmonologist would be indicated, as a test called a bronchoscopy (camera in the airway) can visualize inside the airways and if there is indeed an impacted foreign body it has the ability to allow retrieval with special tools.

Hope this helps wish you the best health, blessings

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Chest pain, shortness of breath, some showing on CT scan. Could it be aspirated food? 5 hours later
The X-rays and scan CT are inconclusive. No indication of an aspirated object but all I read aspirated items end up in the right lung not the left. Would either of the X-ray or ct clearly show it's an object? They are looking at cancer? I am the one wondering if it's a possible food object I have aspirated.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 22 minutes later
The CT or xray would pick up objects that are dense or radiopaque like metal and calcium.

In adults, the suspicion of an aspirated object is strongly suggested by clinical history: an episode of abrupt coughing or choking after eating, or an episode of unconsciousness for example epilepsy or intoxication, and a history of recurrent pneumonias; if none of the above are present then the diagnosis is less likely. Bronchoscopy is the gold standard for diagnosis.

Hope this clears your doubt. Let me know if you need clarifications.