Chest pain, shakiness, no anxiety. Stopped eating dairy products. Done blood work. Any idea what it could be?

General Surgeon
Question
For about 2 years I've had episodes of center or right side chest pain then immediately have a weak/shaky feeling. 1-4 times a week. No anxiety - just have to wait for the 'episode' to stop and this takes about 5 minutes or so. I can do most things while it's going on (the pain isn't crippling - just like heartburn) - but it's a scary feeling and I know it's not normal. I've had blood work done, a stress test and abdominal/pelvic ultrasounds - also had a colonoscopy. I've recently (several months ago) stopped eating dairy products due to other gastro-intestinal discomfort. No doctor has been able to figure it out. I'm active and not overweight. I'm taking Levothyroxine for a benign goiter. Any idea what it could be?
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you have had a lot of examinations I assume that heart icheamic disease has been ruled out? I hope so, as it is the first thing that should be done. So I hope you have had ECG and heart ultrasound, and blood work for heart necrosis enzymes (toponine and CK-MB).
What you are suffering from is most likely supraventricular tachycardia (or any other arrhythmia). In this condition, hearts starts suddenly beat faster and also suddenly terminates beating faster. In normal conditions, heart rate is generated by sinoatrial node(we can call it natural peacemaker). In your case some ectopic source from time to time obscures your peacemaker and generates accelerated heart rhythm. This causes symptoms you have mentioned.
Between your arythmia attacks, your tests results like ECG is absolutelly normal.
That is why you should have 24 hours ECG monitored with Holter monitor.
If it is about treatment in some cases radiofrequency ablation (simply high temperature destruction of ectopic source) might be necessary. In other cases there is a good response for medications. You can also try magnesium supplementation in 400 mg dose per day.
But first of all, you should see a cardiologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Chest pain, shakiness, no anxiety. Stopped eating dairy products. Done blood work. Any idea what it could be? 36 minutes later
Thank you so much! I will take this information to my doctor and hopefully get some confirmation with the Holter monitor. Can you tell me if any damage has been done by not getting treatment yet? Also, what is the risk if no treatment is administered? Thanks again for your help!!!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

You have nothing to worry about, as this does not cause any damage. It can be only XXXXXXX when you find your symptoms getting worse or if you have any others heart diseases like ischeamic heart disease where accelerated heart rate can lead to heart attack. But in your case, if you have your stress test completed without any problem, such risk is minimal. Some people do live with it without any treatment. Just a comfort of life is lower.

Hope this will help. Take care.

Follow-up: Chest pain, shakiness, no anxiety. Stopped eating dairy products. Done blood work. Any idea what it could be? 19 minutes later
Again, thank you so much!!!

Hello!

You are welcome.