Chest pain on drinking liquids, anxiety, stress, family problems. Causes for chest pain?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have recently been having pain in my chest whenver I drink liquid and I am just wondering if it is anxiety because my family has been going through a lot of stress or something else
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Sure there are many ways in which stress and anxiety can present itself on our body.

Pain on ingestion of liquid usually indicates esophageal problem like spasm, or stricture.

In females it can occur due to stress, anemia, or any other gastrointestinal problem like hyperacidity, esophageal achalasia etc.

The best way to diagnose would be to visit a Gastroenterologist who can examine you, order some tests like barium meal x-ray, ultrasound or endoscopy and come to an exact diagnosis.

But before that I would advise you try the following measures, if pain persists despite these then seek prompt consultation.

1. Avoid stress or practice relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, yoga or meditation
2. Avoid spicy food, alcohol, and smoking and take an antacid daily for few days
3. Increase your water intake; take small quantities at a time
4. If you are on any medicine or have high blood pressure or Diabetes in family get yourself checked by your physician.

You may wait for a week but not more than that, please do not hesitate to consult your doctor immediately if the pain increases or you develop new symptoms

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.