Chest pain, neck pain. Is this GERD or heartburn?

i keep getting these very sharp chest pains almost like a bunch of tiny little neddles stabbing me in the chest right between my breast they sometimes hurt all the way up to the top of my neck the exact spot it hurts is right behind were the ribs come togethor in front i told my doctor and she dismissed it as gurd/heartburn please help thank you
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions, this strange sensation that is painful and uncomfortable could be due to gastritis or could also be due to something called as Precordial Catch Syndrome. While the pain is strong and located in a particular area, it is also sometimes known as “a stitch in the side” or “Texidor’s twinge”. The pain occurs just under the breast, on the front of the chest, and comes on very suddenly. This extremely sharp pain causes a person to not want to move or breathe. Any movement or breathing only seems to intensify the pain. The pain usually lasts for few minute before disappearing. After the pain is gone, there is usually a dull ache that lingers.These onsets of pain can occur frequently, sometimes several times a day, and can occur when exercising, resting, or when in virtually any other state. The most accepted theory is that the pain is the result of a pinched nerve somewhere. However, there are some that believe things like heavy or irregular breathing or even posture could play some type of role in bringing about an episode, but no particular therapy. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks