Chest pain, muscle ache, lethargy, abdominal tightness, no fever. Is it acid reflux?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having chest pains, lethargy, muscle aches in my shoulder. No fever, still feel like eating. But when I stand or sit in certain positions I have a tight feeling in the sternum area just above my abdomen. feels tight and it comes on like a wave and then goes away, can have multiple waves in a row. Has been on/off for 48 hours now. Sometimes it really hurts, sometimes its mild. Has similar problem a little over a yr ago.. full cardiac work-up, everything was fine.. they suspected acid-reflux disease. Also when I eat it feel strange in my esophagus.. almost like something is there as the food goes by it.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of gastro esophageal reflux along with a mild generalised viral syndrome.
I advise you to take a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for 7 days followed by once daily every morning.
Avoid oily and spicy food.Also reduce tea, coffee, alcohol , smoking.Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Eat dinner 2 hrs before sleeping .
For muscle aches, a mild pain killer like acetaminophen is advisable. Taking a high dose Vitamin C supplement will help in early recovery.
I expect your symptoms to subside in 5-7 days. In case the symptoms aggravate, I encourage you to consult your physician for proper evaluation and stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.