Chest pain, inhaler does not help. Have recently quit smoking due to asthma. Scared of lung cancer

I quit smoking a a week ago, because everytime i smoked I would need to take my asthma pump. I have now developed a horrible pain in what feels like my left lung. My chest feels really tight, and my inhaler isn't helping at all! I feel like there is something in my chest as it hurts alot when i cough or when im laying down in a certain position. When I breathe in it does not hurt. I am scared i have lung cancer or something...

Please advice.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 32 minutes later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your question, it is good that you have quit smoking as it worsens the lung function. Asthma caused by the tightening of muscles around your airways (bronchospasm). During the asthma attack, the lining of the airways also becomes swollen or inflamed and thicker mucus more than normal is produced. All of these factors like bronchospasm, inflammation, and mucus production cause symptoms of an asthma attack such as difficulty breathing, wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath. When an asthma attack occurs, the muscles surrounding the airways become tight and the lining of the air passages swells. This reduces the amount of air that can pass by. Other symptoms that may occur with this disease abnormal breathing pattern, chest pain and tightness in the chest. It is important to recognize and treat even mild symptoms of an asthma attack to help you prevent severe episodes and keep asthma under control. If the inhaler is not helping then you need to visit your physician who may modify your medications and rule out any serious conditions including lung cancer. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks
Follow-up: Chest pain, inhaler does not help. Have recently quit smoking due to asthma. Scared of lung cancer 54 minutes later
I smoked about 5 cigs a day... i started when i was bout 15 - so ten years in total... i have quit for 2 years within that... so i have smoked 5 a day for 8 years... what would be the most obvious symptoms of the worse outcome (lung cancer) ?
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 12 minutes later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your question, symptoms of primary lung cancers include cough, coughing up blood, chest pain, and shortness of breath. A new cough in a past smoker should raise a concern for lung cancer, coughing up blood (hemoptysis) occurs in a significant number of people who have lung cancer. Any amount of coughed-up blood is a cause for concern. Chest pain is a symptom in about one-fourth of people with lung cancer, it is a dull, aching, and persistent. Shortness of breath usually results from a blockage to the flow of air in part of the lung, collection of fluid around the lung (pleural effusion), or the spread of tumor throughout the lungs. Wheezing or hoarseness may signal blockage or inflammation in the lungs that may go along with cancer. Up to one-fourth of all people with lung cancer may have no symptoms when the cancer is diagnosed. The symptoms are due to direct effects of the primary tumor, to effects of metastatic tumors in other parts of the body. Any of the above symptoms that gets worse over time should be evaluated by your clinician who may recommend you with some radiologic and laboratory tests to confirm any diagnosis. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Thanks