Chest pain, indigestion, discomfort when eating, sternum pain, mammogram showed non-cancerous abnormality. Esophageal cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi for the last month and a half I have had problems with pain in my chest progressing into indesgestion and discomfort when eating. My first symptom was pain pressing on my right sternum area. I continued to eat and drink like normal and I got pain that radiated up my shoulder , down my right arm..tested for a blood clot negative. The pain was constant and did not come and go...Pain seemed to go into my breast so I had a breast exam and they found a cyst..after a mammogram and ultrasound..they found it wasnt a cyst but a breast abnormality(dark area)that they felt non-cancerous..I was referred to a breast surgeon because of the pain(feeling that it was from my fibrocystic condition in my breast)...Then I started to develop indegestion...changed my diet, no caffeine,cut back alcohol,no spicy foods,etc...dr. put me on take the pain in my chest go away. But I still can feel the discomfort and there is tenderness under my right rib cage.
I was bulimic for 20 years...recovered completely the last 14 years....I do feel discomfort in the esophaugal area..feeling like food is going dr. now has referred me to a gastrointestinal dr. The discomfort and pain is constant...I have lost 6 pounds from the change in bowels are regular..I do have history of drinking 2-3 beers a night..and I have taken too much ibuprofen in the last blood tests come back ok for liver..etc . Does this sound like esophaugal cancer..I am concerned..also concerned about auto-immune disorder..have been sick alot this y..ear...I do have afunny discomfort feeling on the right side of my throat past the tongue...can still swallow ok but can feel something there...cant breath deeply....pain and pressure in right lung quickly does escophaughal cancer progress? I will be schelduled for and endoscopy.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 31 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

I can understand your concern, you have had a good number of symptoms that would put any patient on stress but fortunately enough they do not appear to be serious enough

My first word is a word of reassurance

Most of your symptoms do point out to Acid Peptic Disease and may be gastro esophageal reflux

Because you have been on alcohol[Beer] and lot of Ibuprofen as you said - Both lead to gastritis and hyperacidity and the stress that keeps on multiplying

Prevacid is a good molecule but I would suggest adding a Tab of Domperidone along with and take it twice a day before meals [Both Prevacid and Domperidone] for atleast three weeks and then shift to once a day

I would also recommend you go for an abdominal ultasound to rule out Gall bladder disease along with an endoscopy to rule out GERD

In the mean time follow these tips they will help relieve symptoms :

Avoid spicy, fermented and fried meals,
Avoid aerated drinks
Avoid smoking or tobacco in any form
Avoid alcohol
Take lot of fluids daily
Exercise atleast five days a week
Take small frequent meals
If obese reduce weight
Manage your stress levels [As you have mentioned your were bulimic - this is a stress related disorder of eating]

Regarding Oesophageal cancer the symptoms of dysphagia is not there, yet your endoscopy will rule out the possibility

The progress varies with the types of cancer and can be justified only after we have a gross diagnosis of the cancer

Hope this help
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a seedy recovery