Chest pain, high BP and heart rate, fatigue. Blood test inconclusive. Family history of heart defects. Anything else it can be?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, i was at hospital last night due to chest pains coming and going over 3 or 4 days that spread into neck and shoulder, sometimes my back. When they take my H.R and BP , my heart rate at rest was 156bpm, and my bp was high. Everytime these pains stop, i feel exhausted for a few hours, and just have to sleep. The hospital did blood tests to check for heart attack but came back inconclusive and they sent me home. I have a family history of heart defects and disease, and im worried they are missing something because im just getting more and more tired each day this happens. Help .. anything else it can be?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I understand your concern towards strong family history of heart disease.

As per your history, you are healthy in every aspect including blood tests except for occasional tachycardia (fast heart rate). Following are my comments:

1) This could be due to anxiety you have about your family history as well as hyper mobility syndrome where in you get excited soon and your adrenal hormones flow leading to tachycardia.

2) Please stop smoking cigarette as it excites nervous system and also releases hormones not good for the heart rate. They increase heart rate.

3) I advice you get an ECG (electrocardiogram) done while you have tachycardia. It helps in diagnosing WPW (Wolf Parkinson White) syndrome if at all you have. ECG is a simple and best tool.

4) If needed you can request 24 hours continuous ECG monitoring to diagnose anything you feel is missing.

5) The back chest pain radiating to neck and shoulder could be due to hyperacidity for which you please take prescription from your doctor for antacid medicines which will stop such symptoms.

I don’t think there is anything to worry. You are just anxious and have hyperacidity. They are minor concerns for which you follow my above advice.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow-up query you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer and close this discussion.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol