Chest pain, heartburn, pain while breathing. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm a 23 year old male. I do smoke I'm not over weight and have never been hospitalized for anything. For about 3 months I have had a chest pain in the center of my chest to slightly right ONLY when i make certian movements or put pressure on my chest. Almost feels like it's in the bone and sometimes when I take a pain reliver it slacks of some. I do get heartburn occasionally maybe once a week or less. It also does not hurt to take XXXXXXX breaths or breathe....and my lungs feel full and normal. Sometimes if i only get 4-5 hours of sleep it hurts worse when i wake up....just seems to be only when i move the wrong way....I do reppetive movement at work also....Have no insurance and have owed bills to ER so kinda in a bind.....
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From the description provided it seems to be due to musculoskeletal inflammation. This can be diagnosed as the pain increases on specific movements and on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg ( if you are not allergic to ) taken three times a day for one week. Doing hot fomentation and avoiding all the stressful movements and lifting weight will help in early improvement. You can also use a chest belt for severe pain.
This generally resolves in 3-5 weeks. ‎In case there is no improvement after the abovesaid measures then you need a proper examination and stronger prescription medicines from an orthopedician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Chest pain, heartburn, pain while breathing. Treatment? 3 hours later
That is what I was thinking....but I done some research and what I'v read is that it was more common among children and early teens. So if this is what you think it is how could i'v gotton it? and would it last for 3 months? and does it cause swelling on the pec? sometimes it looks swollen. Some days it feels like it's getting better than other days it feels worse.......
Also forgot to add I have no cough and could I just take a rugular Ibuprofen for a week?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Musculoskeletal inflammation can happen at any age. It is not necessary that at your age it cannot affect you. Many times it can be due to a prior viral infection or autoimmune in nature. It usually improves in 4-6 weeks but may last longer in some.

The inflammation involved may cause slight swelling of the overlying tissue.

You can take Tab Ibuprofen (400mg) or Tab Acetaminophen (500mg) for a week, after meal. For cough, use over the counter preparations available, a steam inhalation and drinking warm water will help.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Chest pain, heartburn, pain while breathing. Treatment? 4 hours later
OK I was thinking of Costochondritis. And you said improves in 4-6 weeks does that mean not fully healed? Just starting to get a little worried cause its been about 3 months. Also my mother has fibromyalgia would that have an effect on me?
Not sure it would be a autoimmune disese.....Other than this I feel fine and have no other health issues. But I do smoke cigarettes and marijuwana could these bad habbits play a role in contracting this and effect the recovert time?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The time taken for full cure cannot be predicted based only on the history provided by you. It needs a thorough examination and a few investigations to find out the cause. You can get these investigations done under the guidance of your orthopedician. Persistent pain could be suggestive of costochondritis.
Fibromyalgia and other autoimmune diseases are also a possibility.
Smoking and taking marijuana can decrease your immunity thus delaying the recovery.
I hope this is helpful.