Chest pain, hand pain. Do I have anxiety?

Question
Good evening
So ive been to the emergency room twice last year, took elgs and all came back ok. I was wondering if maybe i have anxiety that makes me think that something is wrong. Last year it was just chest pains and what i thought was my left hand hurting. I always assume the worst. Am i ok? Is it anxiety? My doc says im fine and it could just be over exertion. Right now my left hand hurts and feel a little pain right under it by my chest. Should i go to the er? Am i just over thinking it? I am 23 years old, occassionally drink, and i smoke about 2-4 times a day. What should i do?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

You have been experiencing symptoms of chest pain with pain in left hand too. You are a smoker and occasionally drink too.There is no need to go to the ER now.

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. From how long are you experiencing these symptoms?
2. Do you experience sweating, increased heart rate?
3. Do you experience this when stressed, anxious, lonely or depressed?
4. What is your body weight and what other medical tests have you done?

By looking at the description you have provided it most probably looks like anxiety related chest pain. You have also done previous 2 ECG's (electrocardiogram) which have come back normal. In case you have high cholesterol levels then you might be at risk of heart disease in future.

It is better you do lipid profile now and also get physically evaluated by a General physician.

If you are physically fit and blood reports are normal then you will need to get evaluated by a psychiatrist to treat your health related anxiety. Also try stress releasing techniques like meditation and yoga. Avoid smoking and alcohol too. Always be in the company of friends and family when you are anxious.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Chest pain, hand pain. Do I have anxiety? 10 hours later
Well it normally happens randomly. Alot of times after i get out of work or right before i go to sleep. I weight 260lbs- 5'9". I dont sweat but i feel like my heart rate is up because im panicking when it does happen. Im usually by myself when it happens, throughout the day im fine, i dont feel stressed at all, i just think its weird that i experience these symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 14 hours later

Thanks for the additional information.

Firstly, at 260 lbs, you weight needs to addressed to prevent multiple health issues.

Based on the information provided, I would relate the symptoms that you have more towards anxiety rather than from a heart origin. However if the symptoms are persisting and recurring, it would be wise to get your heart checked considering your weight and prior history. I would suggest you to get a Lipid profile done and cardiac evaluation. Echocardiogram, stress ECG and 24 hour Holter monitoring are entailed.

It would also benefit you if you could monitor your diet and lifestyle such as involve in exercises, eat a low fat diet, meditate to deal with stress and so on.

The bottom line is your symptoms might be related to stress problems. But I would encourage a detailed cardiac evaluation to rule the possibility of heart issues beyond doubts.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Chest pain, hand pain. Do I have anxiety? 6 hours later
I am so sorry, im not 260 i just realized thats a typo. I weight 160lbs.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 17 hours later

If your weight is 160lbs, then it is in the right range. But you still need to take a Psychiatrist’s opinion, so that he may be able to rule out certain conditions related to stress, anxiety, social phobia etc.

If it is not, you could get other tests done that I have mentioned above.

Wish you good health.