Chest pain, done EKG, V1 and V2 abnormal, family history of heart problems

Hello Doctor, I am a 52 year old women in good shape but had horrible left sided chest pain the other day. I went to my primary dr who ran a EKG in his office saying V 1 and V 2 were abnormal. I have no idea what that means. I saw his report by accident and he wrote abnormal EKG. He has scheuled for a cardio doctor appt. in a few days. please explain this to me. My dad died of heart problems and I am scared. My primarary did not seem to want to talk about it. What is this V 1 and V 2 thing? Thank You, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
V1 and V2 are two different chest leads that are placed on the chest wall for recording the cardiac electrical abnormalities. Since you do not know what were the abnormalities, it is difficult to presume what the problem might be. It can be ischaemic changes or show changes due to cardiac hypertrophy. Changes present only in V1 and V2 are more suggestive of problem related to right atrium.
To find out the exact diagnosis and the extent of problem, you might need to have further investigations like-
1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)
Please visit your cardiologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.