Chest pain, dizziness, shortness of breath. Normal blood pressure. Have GERD. Had gall bladder removed

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello. My husband is suffering from what he thinks are spasms of his esophagus after eating anything. He also has some chest pain, dizziness, and shortness of breath. He has been evaluated by his regular Dr. with ekg, chest xray, ct scan. All of which were normal except for the ekg which may have indicated an "old injury" and he is having a stress test today for that. His blood pressure is also normal. He has had GERD for years, and takes pantoprazole for it. He had his gallbladder removed 5 months ago, and had a herniated disk in his neck removed 3 months ago. This was happening before both surgeries. It stopped for awhile after disk removal surgery, which led us to believe it was due to pinched nerve at C7. It has come back with a VENGEANCE! He has seen GI dr, who thinks it is over production of bile, and started him on sucrafate. This does not seem to help. I wonder if he might have an injured or clogged bile duct. Liver function is normal on blood test. When gallbladder was removed, the surgeon said it was "very sick - diseased, but no stones" and said all should now be well. WELL, IT'S NOT! He can hardly function normally. PLEASE, any advice would be appreciated.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 22 minutes later

The information provided does not have any mention of an Upper GI Endoscopy

With GERD the lower oesophagus usually remains inflammed and pains

Under all prevailing circumstances It would be of help if he is kept on a Prokinetic like Domperidone twice a day before meals along with Pantoprazole

Before you get back to me with the UGI Endoscopy Report ,

Here are few tips that will help him manage his GERD :

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing your husband a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Chest pain, dizziness, shortness of breath. Normal blood pressure. Have GERD. Had gall bladder removed 5 minutes later
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm sorry, but YES he did have an upper GI which showed no erosions or ulcers. It said "NERD" instead of GERD. Hope this helps.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

It would be advisable if you follow what I have suggested

NERD may be a typo error as GERD is the perfect terminology

Do not hesitate to write back in case of doubts

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery