Chest pain caused by severe cough, not reducing by syrups. What can be done?

I have severe cough fot past 15 days. I consulted a doctor and had Cough syrabs but no improvement. Due to which i am getting chest pain in left side while coughing.
Age - 26
Weight - 66
Height - 163 Cms
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 32 minutes later

Thank you for posting in your query.

According to your question you have been having a cough since past 15 days. Do you have any of the following associated symptoms:
1. Runny or blocked nose
2. Cough with phlegm
3. Any blood in the phlegm
4. Fever with or without chills; any evening rise in temperature
5. Any weight loss in the recent month
6. Body ache , fatigue etc
7. Do you suffer from asthma or other chronic illnesses and are you on any medications

Your cough could be pointing to an infection either viral or bacterial

The pain that you are experiencing must be due to muscular fatigue due to continuous coughing

It would be in your best interest to undergo a course of antibiotic and antihistaminic medications to relieve your symptoms. You should also take warm fluids and do lukewarm saline water gargles

Cough lasting for a long time even after medication needs to be evaluated by examination of sputum, chest X XXXXXXX and blood tests like ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)

Hope I have answered your query

Dr Gowri