Chest pain and abnormal heart rate. Had abnormal EKG. Does this mean I had heart attack?

I had an abnormal ekg on 2/28/13. It was compared with one done in 2006. My doctor called me and said
that the magnets were placed okay and they think I had a heart attack. My insurance was cancelled, but
reinstated-so now I am waiting to have the stress test and see a heart doctor. The ekg was read by
a doctor; Normal sinus rhythm, Anterolateral infarct, age undeterminded, When compared with ECG of 3/29/06,
anterior infarct is now seen confirmed by Scher M.D., XXXXXXX R on 3/1/13.
My reg doc put this thur as routine. I asked them to changed it to ASAP so I can get in sooner. Does this
mean I had a heart attack ? Can they tell when I had it ? I can think of a couple of times when I had pretty
extreme pain-but I had cellulitis at the time and I have neck issues and old carpal tunnel-so I maybe wouldn't have noticed because of my other pains. My last job was super stressful-very mean boss-wouldn't surprise
me if I did have one in that work environment. I am having a little chest pain and abnormal heart beating. How concerned should I be that I should wait until I get an appointment ? Thanks, any advise would be helpful. I am
55 years old and overweight. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

EKG interpretation is pattern recognition and measurements. Certain forms suggest pathology. Negative deflection (40 or more milliseconds) mean infarction. It is not possible to predict the exact age; but in general terms – hours (ST segment elevation) / days (ST & Q) /or months (only Q waves in certain positions) and so on.
Infarction can be painless (especially in diabetics). Or the pain might have been ignored / attributed to other causes.
Overweight, low HDL, high LDL, Stress, family history – all contribute. Women after menopause have the same risk as men

You need ECHOcardiogram (wall motion and function)
Angiography is the gold standard for further assessment and assistance.
If not, the next thing will be - Thallium TMT (Stress EKG with isotope) to assess the Physiology / CT angio for anatomy.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Chest pain and abnormal heart rate. Had abnormal EKG. Does this mean I had heart attack? 4 hours later
So did I have a heart attack ? How quickly should I have further testing ?
I am not diabetic; and I am in Menopause now-not finished with it.
Thank you for your prompt response.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 21 minutes later
It is very likely that you DID HAVE an attack.
You did not realise it ...... and you are very lucky / blessed indeed!

You should get investigated AS SOON AS POSSIBLE -
The aim is to find out the extent of damage - location, nature and extent of block / the threat for future (other blocks of significance) and how to tackle it - preventive and/or treatment approaches for the future.

Aspirin and statins may help in the mean time - discuss with your doctor...

Follow-up: Chest pain and abnormal heart rate. Had abnormal EKG. Does this mean I had heart attack? 41 hours later
Once I have the test; will they be able to tell when I had the attack ? Thanks.
I have an appointment for the stress test on 4/2/13 & to see a doctor on 4/4/13.
I am nervous. Thanks.

It can...
And it usually does...
It is the first and important step.
Depending on the results, you may need further assessment and assistance.

Worry does not help! / only aggravates.
You may benefit from anti-platelet agents in the mean time - discuss with your GP