Chest pain and TB. Done CXA test. Afb sputum test negative. What does present X-ray mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have occasional mild pain in upper part (both sides) of chest over last 12 days. My CXR (PA) says (1) no lung infiltration (2) both hila are congested (3) both costophrenic angles are clear (4) both domes of diaphragm are smooth, (4) prominent bronchovascular markings in both lungfields, suggesting non-specific infection and (5) cardiac size appears normal. AFB test of sputum turned out to be negative. I was attacked by TB about 20 years back and cured after 9 months' medication. What are the implications of present x-ray findings?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Your present X-ray shows prominent blood vessel markings at hila suggestive of a non specific mild lung infection. Most of the times such an infection is viral in origin and symptoms do subside on supportive treatment in 1-2 weeks.
In case the symptoms are persistent, associated with expectoration, cough, fever, etc then bacterial infection should be considered and systemic antibiotics are needed for treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.