Chest pain after eating, belching. Acid feeling if no belching.

Dear sirs,
When i eat my chest hurts ( just above my chest) after I've eaten i belch a lot and sometimes when i don't belch i get like a acid feeling.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your history, I would like to comment the following:

I. Your symptoms are typical of GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disease).

II. For management of GERD I would recommend the following:

1. You can start a proton pump inhibitor (Anti acidity medicine) like (Tb ( pantoprazole + domperidone) 40 mg tablet in the morning) under prescription from your doctor.
2. Do not be without food for long hours ( more than 4 hours).
3. Eat small frequent meals.
4. Elevate the head of your bed 2 to 6 inches with something hard. do not use extra pillows.
2. Avoid Foods aggravating symptoms like spicy and fatty foods, tomato and citrus juices (such as grapefruit and orange juices), chocolate, mints, coffee, tea, colas, and alcoholic beverages.
3. Do not lie down for 2 hours after eating. Allow gravity to work. Also, avoid bending over at the waist to pick up things; instead bend at the knees. You can have an evening walk after dinner.
4. Stop Smoking if you are a smoker.
5. Limit Coffee intake. Also Limit consumption of other caffeine containing beverages (tea, soft drinks) may also be helpful.
6. Avoid Tight Clothing: Tight belts, tight pants or girdles can increase the pressure on the abdomen.
7. Maintain your weight, so that your BMI (body mass index calculated as weight(kg)/height(in metre square) is between 28 to 30.

III. Since you are giving history of associated asthma and you are currently only on ventolin, I would like to suggest the following in addition:
1. Control your acidity by following the steps mentioned above. Acidity is a known trigger for asthma.
2. Ventolin is a rescue inhaler and you should review with your physician/ Pulmonologist regarding the prescription of a maintenance inhaler.
3. Get your pulmonary function tests done yearly.
4. Do get your annual flu shots.
5. Monitor your daily peakflow monitoring at home. Please consult your physician regarding this. It is a good indicator of your asthma control.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra