Chest pain, Holter monitor shows mitral valve prolapse and proximal atrial fibrillation.

chest pain on and of last only 1 to 2 minutes on holtor monitor and recording palpations i have mitral valve prolapse and proximal atrial fib on toprol and flecianide started flecianide about 3 weeks now was on multaq
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Chest Pain and Atrial Fibrillation are two of the various symptoms of MVP) which occur when the valve between your heart's left upper chamber (Left Atrium) and the left lower chamber (Left Ventricle) doesn't close properly. During this, the valve bulges or prolapses upward, or back into the atrium causing Mitral Regurgitation which is picked up as Systolic Murmur during auscultation by your Cardiologist.

In most people, this isn't life-threatening and doesn't require treatment. Some of them, however, might require treatment.

You are on right medications. Just take them as directed by your Doctor and be sentient of worsening of symptoms like aggravation of chest pain or any other symptom and seek immediate medical assistance.

Plan regular follow-up visits to your Doctor; if your symptoms deteriorate, your Doctor will propose to you some surgical Interventions like Valve Repair or Valve Replacement.

Hope my answer has done justice to the query put forward by you and I will be available to answer if you have further follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Chest pain, Holter monitor shows mitral valve prolapse and proximal atrial fibrillation. 57 minutes later
what do i do about the frequent chest pains more frequent now sense new med
i also have regurg and partial right bundle branch block
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 57 minutes later

Thank you for getting back to me.

In view the fact that you have been experiencing frequent chest pain more after starting on new medication, you can speak to your Doctor concerning this who may change the dose or the medication itself.

More so in patients with MVP who are overweight and have high blood pressure, there is increased risk of developing Mitral Regurgitation which is one of the causes for recurrent chest pain and it has to be addressed in the form of surgery to repair or even replace the valve in order to prevent the development of complications, such as heart failure.

The Right Bundle Branch Block (RBBB) may be secondary to underlying heart disease like myocarditis or high blood pressure. The management comprises of treating the underlying cause for the block.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further follow ups.

All the Best and Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Chest pain, Holter monitor shows mitral valve prolapse and proximal atrial fibrillation. 21 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your response. I do have mitral regurgitation and tricuspid regurg. I weigh 112 lb
5'3 not over weight and no high blood pressure. I do smoke. The first of last year I had the flu and was really sick and that's when it all started. My mom swears I have rheumatic heart disease. Although never diagnosed, but always had strep throat as a child, had swollen itchy joint pain when i was in my early 20's. Now I get rashes every time I get sick for any reason.

Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 4 hours later

Thank you once again for writing back to me.

You have given me a leading history as Rheumatic Fever/Rheumatic Heart Disease which is an inflammatory disease that can build up as a complication of inadequately treated streptococcal sore throat. It can cause permanent heart injury, causing damaged heart valves and heart failure. Prompt treatment can reduce tissue damage from inflammation.

Speak to your Cardiologist and get a blood work done which can detect antibodies to streptococcal bacteria circulating in the blood.

Hope this information helps.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.