Chest keloids after CABG. Now infected, foul-smelling pus, painful. Best antibiotic treatment for SSTI

Undergone CABG in 1990. I am 72. The sutures on the chest developed keloids which were not giving problem till recently. Now they (big scars) get infected frequently and pus oozes out emitting foul smell. It is somewhat painful too. I do not want to go to a plastic surgeon. A dermatologist friend of mine suggested that I should ignore the problem and live with it since I am old! Please suggest the best antibiotic treatment for SSTI (oral and topical) for this condition and how to keep the keloids from getting infected (hygienic precautions).

( I was with XXXXXXX as GM- Training and that is why I have used some medical terminology to show off my half-baked knowledge! Hope you do not mind)
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 31 minutes later
Thanks for the query. First of all keloid can be treated so you dont need to live with it. As you understand medical terms it will make my work easy, explaining you things.
As it is infected the first line of treatment will be antibiotics.
As the pus is foul smelling a gram negative infection is most probable. Considering your age I must prescribe you more of topical antibiotics. The best will be moxifloxacin cream and orally you can take a third generation cefalosporin like cefixime. Another important thing is warm saline compress. It will help drain pus. Do this for 10 days. Once the infection is controlled, the keloid can be reduced by intra lesional injections. Let me know if you have any other doubt. Thank you
Follow-up: Chest keloids after CABG. Now infected, foul-smelling pus, painful. Best antibiotic treatment for SSTI 43 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I will start applying moxifloxacin cream on the affected area immediately. Any brand you can suggest?

I will start using cefixime immediately. (Cefixime 200mg b.d for 7 days- is it OK).
Any brand you can suggest?

Warm saline compress: Will follow.

Thanks and regards,

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 50 minutes later
you can apply moxicip cream.
Take topcef tab 200 mg for 7 days.

Thank you