Chest infection, coughing, fever, aspiration pneumonitis, bacterial pneumonia

Hi We have just come back from seeing a doctor who diagnosed my 3.5 year old as having a chest infection. My boy had his tongue tie released on Tuesday, then that night he started coughing very violently. From Wednesday afternoon onwards he started having medium and high grade fever. The doc told us that it's possible for the boy's blood to have gone down the wrong way and caused him to have a chest infection. The boy's symptoms are: coughing , especially at night (though we keep him elevated), high grade fever on and off, and a running nose. It just seems strange to me that the blood from his tongue tie release procedure could have caused a chest infection.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

Blood or any other foreign body aspirated into lungs described medically as "Aspiration Pneumonitis" can get infected secondarily. Yes, they can produce symptoms of cough, high grade fever and breathing difficulties.

Sitting this far without physical examination and looking at the Xray films, I cannot comment on the diagnosis.

Pneumonia can also be caused by virus or bacterial infections.

An Xray / CT scans of the chest can differentiate among these 2 conditions.

The treatment of both Bacterial pneumonia and Aspiration pneumonitis is the same - a course of antibiotics. While viral pneumonia's are self limiting illness.

I hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them.

Wish your son a speedy recovery.

Best Regards