Chest heaviness, irregular bowel movements, palpitations. Diagnosed with GERD. Taking omeprazole. Do I have IBS?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been diagonised with GORD and Acid Reflux and would like to some feedback from a Doctor
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in GERD
Follow-up: Chest heaviness, irregular bowel movements, palpitations. Diagnosed with GERD. Taking omeprazole. Do I have IBS? 11 minutes later
I was diagosed with Acid Reflux almost 5 weeks ago, my symptoms at the time were heavy chest whereby I felt I had to keep taking XXXXXXX breathes, Palpations. My GP said my tummy was tender under my breasts, and she said the heavy chest was coming from my stomach, so she precribed me Omeparzole 20mg, then 3 weeks later I felt no better, could hardly eat, felt full after small meals, tireness, and the heavy chest and palpations. So I went to my A& E Dept as pains in my chest were sore and was worried that it was somthing more serious, but ECG AND X-Ray were both fine, so they said my heart was fine, but to loose weight and increase my tablets to 40mg which I have done, 6 weeks have now passed and I feel not much better, I still get the Heavy chest at least 3 times a week, feel really full after meals, and still feel palpations. And at the time 6 weeks ago I had mentioned to my GP that my bowels havent been going properly and very sluggish, over the last week weeks my bowels have went quite regular, but my stomach epecially lower stomach is very crampy, and alot of wind, and at night when I am lying down my stomach makes alot of gurgling noises. Sorry for such a long email but I just wanted to give you a properly insight into my sypmtoms. I am wondering if I could infact have IBS or something else. Your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later

Acid reflux and Gastro oesophageal reflux disease is a common problem. Spicy & oily foods, smoking, tobacco of any kind, alcohol, coffee, stress, anxiety and sliding hernia, which is a condition where the upper part of stomach is pulled up in the chest, all aggravate this.

You need to avoid the above-mentioned factors at all costs. Also, eat small portion meals at frequent intervals rather than large heavy meals. This helps to reduce your symptoms.

Avoid lying down immediately after a meal; rather lie down flat only after 2 hours. Until then you may recline at 45 degrees with head-end up. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated.

You need to be evaluated by investigating for the cause of by an endoscopy and test for H pylori infection to see if oesophagus is being damaged by the stomach acids, and if stomach has any inflammation or ulcer by a gastroenterologist.

Your symptoms like palpitations, heavy chest, and tiredness, feeling full and bloated might all be related to GORD. You can ask your doctor to add an antacid and a prokinetic agent along with Omeprazole.

Normally long-term medical treatment will be needed to be relieved of the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Chest heaviness, irregular bowel movements, palpitations. Diagnosed with GERD. Taking omeprazole. Do I have IBS? 17 hours later
Thank your for your information, but you do not mention my bowels? Or anything about the IBS, Your feedback on that would be appreciated. Thank you..
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of IBS.

The sluggish bowels with lots of wind and gurgling might be associated with acid reflux and ingestion of partially cooked food. Doing some dietary modifications will bring in relief.

Hope my answer is helpful.