Chest fluttering, no pain, not near heart, can see it moving

I have a fluttering in the middle of my chest, I only notice it when I sit still, I can sometimes see it moving, I have no pain! It's not near my heart
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 16 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I would like to think your "fluttering" is akin to palpitations. Awareness of one's own heart beat is relatively normal in most cases. Other causes include stress, excessive physical activity, hypothyroidism, anemia, heart conditions.

Good that you have no pain, or away from the proximity of the heart - GERD or chest pain associated may need urgent treatment otherwise.

Now, as you seem to have these palpitations at rest, an overall view of your general health condition needs a check, especially so if these palpitations have been since a long time. A stethoscopic examination would be needed to rule out any heart murmurs associated with some heart conditions. A blood test or thyroid function test amongst other investigations might be needed by your doctor.

However, I would still reiterate that it is harmless and you need not panic. A prompt clinical review is needed instead. In the event that nothing comes up in reports and exams, then relaxation techniques will do good.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.