Chest cough with phlegm. Roxid and mucolit not helped. What will?

My grandson is 3 yrs old and has cough which is chesty. There is flum which he is unable to cough out.We gave him Roxid and mucolite. There is no improvement. Has no fever.Diet is normal.What should we give him?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your question on XXXXXXX

Three-year olds, i.e. toddlers, are prone to develop respiratory infections when they go to play schools and other open, crowded places like wedding receptions, gardens, malls, etc. through close contact with other infected children or adults.

I am not very sure if what you are saying suggests a lung infection. Sometimes, a simple thing like a blocked nose creates sounds that are similar to the sounds of chest infection. In reality, though, there is no chest infection, but sounds from the nose conducted to the chest wall and appearing to be a chest problem. In such cases, a simple way to differentiate between the two problems could be to put drops of nasal saline solution, and try and open up his nose and then re-check if there is still the same phlegmy sound or not.

If the suspicion of a chest involvement is made stronger, it might be a good idea to ask for a blood count and a chest X-ray before going in for a change of treatment on a blind basis. Roxithromycin is a very good antibiotic for a throat infection, but it is a poor drug for chest infection. He will need a different course of medicines for a chest infection, but ONLY AFTER CONFIRMATION from a specialist, and preferably after DOCUMENTATION with the two tests I mentioned earlier.

After reading that he is playing, his diet is normal and he has no fever, I am inclined to go with my first judgment, that he has just a nose block and will need opening of that with saline nose drops. An antibiotic may NOT BE NEEDED AT ALL.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to revert in case you have additional questions. I pray that your grandson gets well soon.

Dr. Taher