Chest congestion, vomiting, stomach pain. Mucus is white. Urine is yellow. Taking Numiex. What to do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Since thanks giving i had a chest congestion and I was congested. I started to take numiex for about 6 days and today its not in my chest but in my throat and im throwing up non stop when i cough. I throwing up clear mucus though. Last night was hard becuase I cant stop coughing at all the phlem is in my throat I cant breath when Im coughing and im throwing up. Coughing up my stomache is hurting and nothing is coming out. For me to stop cough temporialy I suck on ice and it seems to help. When I first started my mucus was a little XXXXXXX and white but now for a few days its only white. Im not sure im drinking enough water becuase my pee is still yellow though. Im also drinking gatorade. What to do?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Your basic problem is a respiratory tract infection either viral or bacterial which is causing cough, breathing difficulty and sore throat .vomiting may be due to complications like pharyngitis causing irritation in throat and, gastritis.

First, you should hydrate yourself adequately for which you should try taking small frequent sips of cold water or oral rehydration solution like the one you have.

You definitely need to consult your physician as soon as feasible so that he can thoroughly examine your throat and chest, if needed order some tests like complete blood picture, x-ray chest, throat swab etc. and confirm the diagnosis to start appropriate treatment.

He will also prescribe you an antiemetic like domperidone or ondansetron and antacids like ranitidine or pantoprazole for the time being to stop vomiting. However, the main treatment of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs and mucolytic-bronchodilator medication can only be started by a doctor after examining and investigating you.

Please do not self-medicate as persistence of throat or chest infections can possibly cause complications like pneumonia or bronchitis and cause worsening of symptoms.

As you wait for the consultation, try to maintain your water intake, take warm saline gargles and steam inhalations thrice daily for faster healing. If you develop breathlessness or blood in sputum or fever or acute chest pain or dizziness seek prompt consultation otherwise a routine appointment.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for any follow up queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.