Chest congestion and breathlessness. On Wysolone and Seroflo inhaler. No asthma. Safe to take steroid?

Male 44 Yrs. 80 Kgs - I am having chest congestion and breathless XXXXXXX over last 10 day's , after getting no relief from antibiotics [Ciplox/ Cepodem] and cough syrups[Ascoril/Broxedex] the doctor has prescribed me Wysolone 30 Mg. once a day for 5 day's along with Inhaler Seroflo 250.
I Want to know if it's safe since i do not have asthma and have never taken a steroid earlier ???
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 10 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

The symptoms you have seems due to bronchitis. Infection / allergy could be causing it. A thorough chest examination, X-ray and sputum examination can help in diagnosing the condition. You may consult a physician / pulmonologist who can guide you through the test.

Prednisolone has anti inflamatory property. This is useful in reducing chest inflammation and suppress your symptoms. It is safe when taken for short duration as given to you.

Do not worry. You should be fine.

Hope I have answered all your questions. I will be available for follow up queries if any.